October 15 – 18, 2013 – Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN area
4 days – 3 events sponsored by
with additional support provided by
1. October 15th & 16th, 2013 Innovations in Noise-Induced Hearing Loss and Tinnitus Prevention in Kids
- A two-day information and demonstration event provided the participants with the most current information regarding noise induced hearing loss and tinnitus in children and state-of-the-art interventions and dissemination methodologies for effective prevention.
- Students, teachers, pediatricians, public health experts, clinical and educational audiologists, speech-language pathologists, music educators, museum educators, industrial and military representatives, hearing conservationists, industrial hygienists, school nurses, hearing loss prevention advocates, all came together to share information..
2. October 17 & 18, 2013 Dangerous Decibels Educator Training Workshop at the 3M Innovation Center-
- 60 registrants representing 14 states, 3 countries, 18 disciplines, and 46 different organizations attended the Dangerous Decibels Educator Training Workshop.
- Each received the latest information, materials, as well as individualized coaching and feedback as part of their training.
3. October 16 (evening event) - How Loud is Your Music – a Jolene Family Reunion and U-Build-It Jolene Workshop.
- This event was free and open to the public – all ages. MP3 players were brought and our mannequin, Jolene, and showed participants how loud the volume they set their music to really was.
- Participants also met Jolene’s “siblings” from around the world and find out how they are saving hearing in their communities.
- Registrants built their own Jolene with our help. We supplied 32 mannequins. Individuals and teams of novice builders learned how to construct their own Sound Level Meter Mannequin.
Ongoing program support for the Dangerous Decibels program is provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Prevention Research Centers Program, through the cooperative agreement # 1U48DP001937